Maeystown General Store | Maeystown, IL 62256
Maeystown General Store | Maeystown, IL

Maeystown General Store | Maeystown, IL

In 1884, George Jacob Hoffman originally opened the building as a saloon and hotel. George A. Hoffman and Jacob Maeys turned it into a general mercantile in 1904.  Through several ownerships it remained a mercantile until 1949, when Gus Ferkel ran it as a feed and farm supply store.  At his death in 1965, it closed.  In 1988, David and Marcia Braswell bought the building and began renovating it into the Corner George Inn Bed and Breakfast and a shop space.

In 1989, David & Anita Muertz opened the shop space as the Maeystown General Store.  It has been restored to much the same apperance as it had been when it operated as a general store after the turn of the century.  The General Store has its original shelves stocked with memories of days gone by.  Old fashioned candy can be found in a late 1800’s revolving glass case.  You are even checked out at the 1870 beer painted counter.

Comments are closed.